DISCUSS WHAT CONSITITUTES LABOR MARKET DISCRIMINATIONS AND HOW TO REDUCE THEM – Assignment Example
Topic: Discuss what consumes labor market discriminations and how to reduce them. Discrimination is widely prevalent in a society where differences exist on the basis of race, gender, religion, financial status and many more factors. There have been many organizations- governmental as well as non-governmental, which have time and again jumped into this dilemma and actively taken efforts to remove discrimination and make equal opportunities available to everyone.
The U.S. government’s Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), which was created to put an end to discrimination based on race, religion, color, sex, age, disability, nationality, etc; handles approximately 80,000 charges annually (Equal Employment Opportunity Commission). This figure itself indicates how critical it is to solve this problem and bring equal employment opportunities into existence. Unfair practices at workplaces include:
1. Jealous and unjust moral practices evident because of competition between peers to climb the corporate ladder.
2. Improper use of power at hand by people at higher posts; for instance denying ‘most needed’ leave to an employee, or denying promotion to an employee because of his/her gender, race or age.
3. Most obvious form of discrimination includes paying women fewer wages than that paid to men for doing the same job: this is termed as wage discrimination (4 Forms of discrimination).
4. Unequal treatment to equally productive employees- this is regarded as discrimination as that of ‘comparable worth’ (4 Forms of discrimination).
People often hesitate to raise their voice against such discriminatory practices because of various reasons some of which are:
1. Fear of completely losing job if raised voice against malpractices.
2. Incomplete knowledge of legal nature of work profile and incentives or fringe benefits levied on the employee at certain post.
There are many theories and policies which have come up with ways to curb labor market discrimination. Some of them are as follows:
1. Extension of job protected maternity leave and this being made mandatory to all organizations by government run organization can ensure a woman stability of her job (Policy issues).
2. Making job quotas available for many disadvantaged people i.e. people with physical disability should be promised job opportunity in every sector with careful government intervention, employment opportunities should be made available for ethnic minority group in the community, etc (Policy issues).
3. A company must establish training programs and develop practices which support diverse culture at workplace (Equal Employment opportunity).
4. Management responsibility at every level of organization must be enforced to look into such matters with due attention (Equal Employment opportunity).
The Equal Pay Act of Britain, The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission of United States, International Labor Organization and many such are steps towards successful eradication of discrimination prevalent in labor markets. However, a victim of unjust employment practices suffers from delivering good performance at workplace; thus stunting his/her personal growth and that of company as well. Hence, it is very important for employees to be aware of happenings around them, be alert and avoid being harassed thereby contributing towards creating an ideally equitable work culture.
"Equal Employment Opportunity Commission." The Columbia Encyclopedia, Sixth Edition. 2008. Encyclopedia.com. Web. 19 Apr. 2010.
“Economics explains discrimination in the labor market: 4 Forms of discrimination”. The Open University Website. Web. 19 Apr. 2010.
“Economics explains discrimination in the labor market: Policy Issues”. The Open University Website. Web. 19 Apr. 2010.
“Equal Employment Opportunity”. Exxon Mobil Corporation. Exxonmobil.com. Web. 19 Apr. 2010.