FINAL PAPER TOPIC – Essay Example
Running head: CRIME IN THE UNITED S Crime in the United s of of Outline Topic: Crime in the United States
Thesis: This course is a comprehensive study of crime through class discussions, assignments as well as readings. Several topics have been covered in this course but only three topics namely; biological and psychological explanations of crime, the Dimensions of crime as well as community reactions to crime shall be looked into in this paper.
The biological and psychological explanations of crime:
Biological theories of crime:
1. The theory of Cesare Lombroso which states that people are born criminals, the ‘atavisms’ of society.
2. The XYY syndrome biological theory which analyzes why there are more male criminals than female ones.
3. William Sheldon’s theory that a criminal can be determined based on the three soma types; endomorphs, mesomorphs and ectomorphs which he connected body types to temperament and eventually behaviour.
The psychological theories:
1. Operant conditioning theory by Skinner.
2. Social-learning theory by Albert Bandura.
3. Sigmund Freud’s and Erik Erikson’s psychodynamic theory of moral development based on Kohlberg’s and Piaget’s stages of development.
Dimensions of crime:
Social dimensions of society; age, gender, social class and race in relation to crime.
Community reaction to crime:
How various communities respond when attacked; community policing, self defence classes, neighbourhood watch etc.
Each reacts differently due to several factors including culture, race and social class.
Conclusion: No conclusive research on crime has been done therefore, the best society can do is to create a morally conducive environment to avoid criminals in the bud as well as lock up the ones already there in correctional facilities. This way, the world will be a much safer place to live in.
Siegel, J. L. (2008). Criminology. (10 th Ed.). Cengage Learning Publishers.
Haynes, F. E. (2007). Criminology. Read Books Publishers.